Empower Leadership

Empower Leadership

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Meandering Path to Education

Meandering Path to Education


This is my story (It should be read out loud.)
I often wonder what it would have been like
If I chose a different path, although I did
Choose another path
From a scrawny kid in a project home
Where no barrier of race broke me down
As I watched my dad hitchhike to work
Doing odd jobs myself as I grew up,
Lawn mower operator, pizza operative,
Bank teller, dairy worker, factory work, I did

To a basketball court, off the street,
High school was blurry, and big, and sometimes not fun,
Please never tell me I cannot do something,
I will come back and haunt you, I did

To the University of San Francisco
And a Fisherman’s Wharf magician
I often wondered if I stopped there.
Perform magic
Chained, handcuffed, nailed in a box
And thrown in a river, on purpose,
Then to the boardwalk I went: magician, entrepreneur or entre-manure
Stepped in it, I did
That’s where my path started toward a classroom.
Substitute teaching, ah, 2 more miracles and I’m a saint
and someone saw me
Connected.

Back to School.
That was my expression of inspiration,
As my first grade teacher said:
Your vocation will find you, vocation, vocation
Where are we going?
That’s not vacation but your vocation, Find your voice, so I did.
When I walked in the classroom,
The only time I was disappointed was by choice
Inspire them, and they will learn!
Teacher, Coach, role model, parent, psychologist, comedian, hall monitor, cafeteria worker, proctor, crossing guard, colleague, trainer, listener, inspire-er of dreams,
In my class we could turn mole hills to mountains, rain drops to rivers, dreams to reality,
So I did!

Now a real husband and parent
Be a doctor of learning, always yearning My wife asked. “Why not a principal?”

I told myself honorable, principle centered, le to principal al.
Not that I could be the best but I knew I could be different and I am.
Take people higher than they thought they could go: students, staffulty, parents, community
I thought
When you hit a wall climb over it, I did
Quit being attacked and go on the offensive.
Stop apologizing for making a difference,
Be passionate about it or don’t do it.
The one real job you can like going to,
And if you don’t, blame yourself

And Make A Difference,
Make A Difference, Make A Difference, Make A Difference,
 I did, 




No comments:

Post a Comment