Empower Leadership

Empower Leadership

Friday, February 8, 2013

Let Your Students Shine!



“You saw my son’s light shine before other people. Thank you!”
The above quote was from a parent conversation about a year ago. I saw many leadership moments in her son during his time in our school. Most importantly, I let him know that I noticed. Sometimes, people look for negatives in their students rather than positives. As educators, we cannot have that mindset.
There are times when we allow the smallest events to get us in a bad mood. It’s not fair to our students, our colleagues, or us. I always found it a challenge to connect that “one” student that did not seem connected. I knew when it happened that I chose the right profession.
Early in my teaching career, I taught high school accounting. It sounds exciting, doesn’t it? Well I made the most of it because my students needed me to engage them. I applied for a grant to get ten IBM PCs in my classroom. This was before anyone knew what the integration of technology was.
I found that some students that were not normally engaged became different people. Later I learned that there was some theory that I could apply. Students became leaders when they knew they had a niche. They also became facilitators.
Another concept I learned early in my career was that there was a strong correlation between leadership and service.  Because I wanted my students to be connected to the school and the community, I started a group called “The Accounting Maniacs.” We raised money to buy turkeys and hams during the holidays. The students led the group and arranged a bowling outing to raise money.
This was an opportunity for the students to take ownership in themselves and the people around them. They embraced the fact that they had a connection to the school and to the community. I applauded their efforts and the positive difference they made. They were proud of their accomplishments, and I was, too. Most importantly, they knew I was proud of them. Their confidence carried over into their classroom effort and performance. Little things make a BIG difference. Try it. I dare you!
As I was writing this post, another cool thing just happened. I call students down to the office a lot to either congratulate them for doing the right thing or ask their opinions. A fifth grade girl just came to my office, and she was really nervous. I congratulated her for her performance in the school play. She was so excited. I asked her why she was nervous. She said she thought she did something wrong, I told her she did something right. People get called to the principal’s office for doing great things. She left with the biggest smile I ever saw on a fifth grader.
And by the way, do kids know what cool means? I told my eleven year old daughter the other day that her hair looked cool. She replied. “What’s that supposed to mean?” I said cool means cool. It’s positive. She told me just to say her hair is gorgeous next time.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment